Compressed Gas Cylinders
In 2017, 5 occupational fatalities occurred due to the ignition of vapors, gases or liquid causing a fire or explosion. An additional 41 fatalities were due to the explosion of pressure vessels, piping or tires. Compressed gas cylinders when constructed and maintained according to federal regulations may be considered safe for the purpose they’re intended. Accidents that occur during the transportation, handling, use, and storage of these containers can almost always be traced to a failure to follow requirements, abuse, or mishandling of these containers. Unsecured cylinders, cylinders stored without caps, and cylinders stored with hardware attached are some of the most common OSHA violations today. Good news, SafetyPlans.com covers the training, use, storage, and inspection of gas cylinders that will help you maintain a safe and compliant workplace!
- [1910.101] – Training
- [1910.101(a)] – Inspections of Compressed Gas Cylinders
- [1910.101(b)] – Use and Storage of Compressed Gas Cylinders
Does the Compressed Gas standard apply to me?
If you work with or near compressed gases…Definitely! Under OSHA’s General Duty Clause (Section 5(a)(1) of the OSH Act) employers are required to furnish each of their employees a workplace that is free from recognized hazards that are causing or likely to cause death or physical harm.
Compressed Gas Cylinders
_____ employees occasionally perform work that requires the use of compressed air or compressed gas cylinders. The purpose of this program is to prevent injury from the use of compressed air or compressed gas cylinders.
This procedure is intended to comply with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations 29 CFR 1910.101 – Compressed Gases (General Requirements) and 29 CFR 1910.253 – Oxygen-fuel Gas Welding and Cutting.
This program covers all employees who use compressed air or compressed gas cylinders at _____ or client facilities.
- Shall ensure that all employees are aware of the proper handling, storage, and use requirements for compressed air and compressed gas cylinders.
- Shall ensure that initial training is conducted for all new employees and that retraining is conducted when employee behaviors suggest that retraining is warranted.
- Shall follow all requirements regarding the safe use of compressed air or compressed gas cylinders.
Subscribe to the All-Access Membership or purchase this plan a la caret to access the full contents...
Ready to Start Your Safetly Plan?
Create a Compressed Gas Cylinders plan for your organization in just a few show steps.